Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, June 09, 2008

One of Matt's many adventures

So this is a post dedicated to my hubby. I love my husband. But, some of his hobbies I just cannot understand why he enjoys them.


Let's take bow-fishing as an example, yes BOW-fishing (I call it fish hunting). He takes his boat to the Goshen dam (or Saginaw, MI with his dad once a year for a bow-fishing tournament...) and shoots carp for sport. Normally he gets a few good ones, brings them home and buries them in our garden and various places throughout our yard. So yes, our backyard is a fish burial ground, but that's beside the point. (PS - if you can't handle ooey gooey icky grimy looking fish, I wouldn't read to the bottom of this blog, you've been warned...) :)

Yesterday, Matt hit the mother load! He was so excited, he shot probably around 200 pounds of fish... the only problem was there was no where in our back yard big enough for him to dig a hole for all those fish! ...not to mention all that digging in the 500-degree 99% humidity weather... so he came home, mid-down pour, and after the rain stopped we drove over to mom & dad's to use the Bobcat to dig a serious fish burial ground! So we got over there and he couldn't lift the fish up to the bucket on the Bobcat... so here's what he "Matt-Gyvered". I think I married a genius! :)
Anyways, after he got the fish into the bucket, I decided that I should drive - who cares that I'm 6-1/2 months pregnant... I love driving the big toys!!! So Matt hopped in the bucket and away we went into the sunset... (or the bug- and pollen-filled field that smelled like skunk butt).
So I started digging a hole, thought I was doing something wrong because I started to sink, so Matt got on and dug a bigger hole and got more stuck... so we had to call in the Willy Dog (dad) to help us get un-stuck, and after he couldn't do it, Matt got the truck out and we were all good! Then dad finished digging the hole, and Matt got to bury his fish.. FINALLY! He was pretty excited, he had a lot of 15 pounders and an 18 pounder, who, by the way, had a HUGE intestine hanging out. I know, too much information, but I saw it and didn't gag so you can handle it too!
Anyways, I love my husband and I'm trying to understand his hobbies, even though it's totally beyond me and totally makes me want to gag, but he enjoys it and that's all that matters!!! It's amazing what you learn about a person when you're married to them and how your eyes are opened to their worlds...
I think this is his version of my shoe/purse shopping addiction :) So tell me, what is your favorite past time?

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Amber you crack me up! I don't understand the need to shoot fish with a bow and arrow and I don't miss all of the carp all over the place! What cracks me up is the way they have to weigh each one and then take pictures of them in the ground before they cover them up.

and...you know what my hobby is...

Cindy said...

So let me get this straight ... Matt gave up an amazing steak dinner, risking the wrath of his mother-in-law, to go fish hunting??? Unbelievable! The only way I know he hasn't completely lost his mind is that he married such a wonderful and patient woman! :)

Anonymous said...

My favorite pastime is watching you get unstuck! :)
Love you guys!